Monday, April 30, 2012

Another Meatless Monday

Here it is again, Monday!

For nearly the past year, I have been practicing Meatless Monday at home.  There have been several weeks where it wasn't practical, but I do make a concerted effort to observe my self-imposed dietary restriction.  I like to go meatless at least once a week, it's good for your heart, and good on the budget.

My 14 year old son gets a kick out of keeping me in line.  Whenever I make dinner on Monday, he gives me the third degree about what I am making.  "Is that meatless Mom? Did you put meat in that?"

He is the most adventurous of my kids when it comes to trying different foods.  His list of likes is way longer than his dislikes.  He gives me a bit of an ego, because he absolutely LOVES everything I make.  Between him and my hubby, I can do no wrong in the kitchen. My girls like my cooking too, but they are harsher critics.  My middle child is the only one that is even remotely picky.  She has a textural issue with raw tomatoes, and mushrooms cooked or raw.

I grew up in a large family.  Picky eating was not allowed.  If dinner was on the table, you ate what was served, and you liked it!  There was no coddling of delicate taste buds.  Well, not that I ever noticed.  For me, meals were always an occasion to celebrate.  My son feels the same way, and I love that he does.

So, since today is Meatless Monday, I have to find something fun to cook, something different.  I don't usually do a pure vegan dinner, with specialty products.  Everything I cook is easy to get at your regular grocery store. I do tend to lean towards legumes.  I have fallen in love with Indian food lately, something spicy is always good.

That's it!  Chickpea Stew is the answer.  It has tomatoes, but my teenaged daughter will eat it if they are stewed.  It is rich, spicy, fulfilling, healthy and meatless.   Everything we look for.




Chickpea Stew

Ingredients:

  •  olive oil
  • 3 stalks celery sliced
  • 2 onions diced
  • 6 carrots sliced or diced
  • 2 turnips peeled and diced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and minced
  • 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
  • 1 Tbs yellow mustard seeds
  • 3 Tbs Moroccan seasoning (or curry powder)
  • 1 Tbs cumin
  • 1 Tbs  garam masala
  • 4 cans of chickpeas rinsed and drained
  • 1 container vegetable broth
  • 2 16 oz cans of diced or crushed tomatoes (or one of each)
  • 2 bunches kale, cut off the stems and chopped roughly
  • 1Tbs sugar (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste





In a large stewpot, heat  2-3 Tbs olive oil on med-high heat.  Add the rest of the first 7 ingredients and cook until the onions soften.  Add the next 5 ingredients and stir to coat with the seasonings and tomato paste.  Cook for 5 minutes, to lightly toast the spices and tomato paste.

Cook the veggies, tomato paste and spices for 5 minutes. This picture was taken right before I added the tomato paste.


I have a neat trick to help you get the tomato paste out of the can with less waste.  Using your can opener, open the top and bottom of the can.  Remove the metal from the bottom, and using the top lid as a plunger, push the paste out.  Remove the top and discard.  How easy is that?



Remove top and bottom, use top lid as a plunger.
So easy! 

Now add the remaining ingredients.  You may or may not need sugar, it depends upon the tomatoes.  Sometimes just a little sugar can balance out the acid of the tomatoes.  Wait to add sugar until you are done cooking.  Taste and then add if you need it. 

Stir, cover, and simmer on med-low for 30 minutes. If the carrots and turnips aren't cooked through, cook another 15 minutes or so.

Be sure to taste after the 30 minutes for seasoning.  This is where you would add sugar if needed.  Sometimes you may need to add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice if the acid level is not to your liking.  I prefer it slightly sweet, slightly tangy.  My tomatoes today were acidic, so I balanced it with the sugar.

You can add chili powder, or chilies if you like it spicy.  This time I left it mild.  Serve with pita bread or crackers for dipping. 
Cut the kale at an angle, cutting the greens from the stems.  Rotate the stems so you can cut off the majority of the greens.  You can clean them the old fashioned way, by tearing the greens off the stems, but I actually like some stems in the stew, it adds another texture.
Be sure to drain and rinse your chickpeas.  They come in a liquid that is fairly slimy and not pleasant.

Our dog, Miss Taterbug, or Tater for short.  She gets all my carrot ends and tops. If I don't share with her, she pouts. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment